Monday 24 October 2011

Cultivating contacts

You don't get work if you don't have contacts. That about sums up the freelancing writing life.

I had a couple of things going for me when I decided to freelance. My corporate experience has been a plus point when it comes to being considered for publications such as annual reports, particularly so when this experience has been in the financial sector. Clients know that I can start the job running because I understand organisations, their language and how they work. For this reason, if you're thinking of taking the freelance road, try and gather as much working experience as you can; you'll have credibility in the eyes of your clients. Also, the working environment, including dealing with outside parties, is a great way to build up your list of contacts.

The second thing is my network. Since my schooldays, I've been involved in all kinds of activities outside of work. In school, I was on the editorial board, a member of the Interact Club and on the committees of various societies. In university in New Zealand, I was an office bearer of the Malaysian Students Association. This mindset was carried into my working life, during which I was actively involved with my university's alumni association as well as the Malaysia New Zealand Business Council, now known as the Malaysia New Zealand Chamber of Commerce. Apart from these, I also joined professional organisations such as the Malaysian Institute of Management.

Of course, in doing all these things, it never occurred to me then that I was building up my contacts for a possible freelancing life in the future. These are activities I enjoy doing to this day. Along the way, I made a lot of friends - friends who would be a great help to me in securing writing work.

Don't cultivate contacts, however, with the thought of how these people would be useful to you. Be sincere when making friends. Also, you need to give without expecting anything in return. Believe me, when your intentions are good, the rewards will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment