Friday 4 November 2011

I love books

To write, you must read. And read. and read. And read.

I'm a voracious reader. I can't imagine not reading. I have books all over my house. And I read a few books at a time, keeping them here and there - downstairs, upstairs, in the family room, in my bedroom. Almost everywhere I sit in my house, there's a book at hand. But there's one place I won't put my books - in the john.

One of my favourite places is a bookshop and one that I regularly visited when in primary school was Kiddies Store. It wasn't strictly a bookshop as it sold other things as well, but it had a good supply of my favourite series at that age - The Famous Five and The Secret Seven.





When I was in primary school in Kuala Lumpur, we lived in the Gurney Road (now Jalan Semarak) area. Not far from our house was a row of shops, one of which was Kiddies Store. Every weekend, my father would give my siblings and I our pocket money. With the dollars in hand, I would trot off to Kiddies Store by the back lane and spent whatever I had on books. It didn't take me long to build up a small library, which found a home in one of the unused servants' rooms at the back of the house. I opened my library to my classmates at the Gurney Road Primary School, which was within walking distance from our house, and they could borrow books using my handmade library cards.   

As I grew older, I was drawn to the classics and later on to modern fiction. Now, I tend to buy biographies, autobiographies and memoirs. 



Given my love for books, the Big Bad Wolf sale is not to be missed and at its recent event in October, I underspent my budget of RM200 and came out with these books...



"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." 
- Jacqueline Kennedy

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder how people can sit for hours reading. But I do admire and jealous of them for being avid readers.
    When I was young, it was comics, comics and comics, anything wilth lots of pictures, graphics and photos.
    Now everything I read is from the computer !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still reading, KKC, but different media :-)

    ReplyDelete