Tuesday 10 January 2012

Not just a bookshelf

I love books. And I have many. In our previous home, where we lived for about 18 years, I didn't have enough shelves to put them, so there was a lot of stacking books on top of others on my limited shelf-space. Three years ago, we moved into our present home and top on the list given to our ID guy was - I must have bookshelves, lots of them.

So we have shelves in the TV room downstairs for my large-sized and coffee-table books, although I do have a few on the table behind the sofa in the living area as well. In our family dining area, there are shelves for cookbooks. Upstairs in the family room, our TV is surrounded by shelves for my fiction/non-fiction. Reference and work-related books are housed on shelves in our home office. In my bedroom, there are shelves for books waiting to be read. And here and there, about the house, are books I'm currently reading.

Many of us think of bookshelves as just pieces of wood nailed together within a frame. There's more to a bookshelf than that - it can, in fact, be a design statement. Just look at these:

Source: designsdelight.com

Source: cube.com

Source: design-milk.com

And if you spend your time reading all day, well, there are bookshelves out there just made for you...

Source: likecool.com

Source: bornrich.com

This bookshelf will surely be a conversation piece if you have it in your living room... plus it shows your commitment towards recycling.

Source: poetichome.com

Clearly then, a bookshelf is much, much more than just a place for books. How it looks really depends on your imagination. And as there are thousands of people out there with creative ideas on how a bookshelf can look like, it's no surprise that there are blogs dedicated to the bookshelf. This one, 'the home of  interesting bookshelves, bookcases and things that look like them', has become so popular that it is coming out with its own book! I wonder if you get a bookshelf to go with it.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! i have never thought of bookshelves as decorative features before...but this posting has kind of opened my mind...thanks for sharing!

    ps: i hv linked ur blog on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and thanks for the link, Ariffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In time, I would want to have a library in my house. I would consider looking at likecool.com. The designs displayed are quite fancy and comfy. At the moment my books are all scattered. Thanks for a wonderful post. Love all your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're enjoying the blog - please share or recommend it to others. Btw, it's not hard to have a library. Start with a simple bookshelf and then go on to the fancy stuff later ;-).

    ReplyDelete