Friday 25 November 2011

Beautiful books

I have posted earlier that I love books. I also appreciate books that are beautifully designed and well produced. For beautiful books, one of the best places to get them is The Folio Society. Their goal, since their first books in 1947, is "to furnish readers with beautiful and authoritative editions of great literary works. The Folio Society brings together a worldwide community of book-lovers who appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of fine editions."


I had been a collector of their books and, much as I'd like to continue doing so, I've had to refrain from adding more to my bookshelves, now that I'm eking out a living as a writer. From time to time, I lovingly touch, bring out and read books in the sets that I have. For details on the authors, please click on their names below the pictures.









The pictures of the books speak for themselves, don't they? One blogger wrote that The Folio Society's "editorial standards are the envy of a great many other publishers. And its commitment to the tradition of finely illustrated fiction is without peer amongst most modern trade publishers."

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It's like falling in love."
- Christopher Morley, author and journalist (1890-1957)

No comments:

Post a Comment