Thursday 10 November 2011

E-writing experience

How did I get into writing for an e-news magazine? As in most situations, it involved someone looking for a particular kind of writer and asking around. A friend of my brother-in-law, Effendi Abdul Rahman, was starting such a magazine, agendamalaysia.com, and having pulled a team together, wanted to add a writer on corporate matters. Effendi introduced me to his friend and I became the writer.

Unfortunately, the magazine didn't last beyond a year due to lack of advertising support. But during that time, I got to know two well-known personalities in the writing world - Rehman Rashid, who edited the e-news magazine, and Ann Lee, who wrote on the arts scene. Rehman is author of A Malaysian Journey and has commented extensively on Malaysian politics and society with the New Straits Times. We became friends after our short-lived online stint. He is one of the most interesting people I know and talking with him can be mentally invigorating because you need to know what you're talking about. Having a way with words also helps. It has been a while since I've seen him; perhaps it's time to give him a call.



Ann Lee, a television co-news anchor who went on to forge a future in play-writing, was instrumental in later getting me into a long-term writing and editing relationship with a career publication (which I'll post about in time). 


I also got to know sports writer Bob Holmes during my e-writing experience. We lost touch after it ended; who would have thought that I would run into him again at the Malaysian branch of the Manchester United Supporters Club in Petaling Jaya when Paul Parker came to town some months ago (yes, I am a United fan). 


When we were writing for agendamalaysia.com, we would meet up each week during which we would discuss what to cover for the forthcoming issue. We would then go off, write and e-mail our articles to Rehman. I enjoyed these meetings - the discussions, the good-natured bantering, the sharing of the latest insider news. 

As in all my freelance writing work, this assignment was part of my learning curve. More importantly, it led to friendships which have continued to this day. Of course, given our busy lives, we hardly meet now but when we do, it's as if we had just seen each other not too long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment