Monday 7 November 2011

Learning never stops

Learning, they say, is lifelong. And it's so true in writing. We learn when we read the work of others. Just imagine the very many ways that thousands of people can write the same story. When I buy a book by an author that I'm not familiar with, I would read the first paragraph. If I like the style and use of language, I would buy it. Of course, the story matters too. One of my favourite writers is Turkish novelist and Nobel Prize (Literature) 2006 winner, Orhan Pamuk.



My favourite book by him, however, is his memoir of Istanbul. When I read it, I wished I could write so eloquently about Kuala Lumpur.



We learn when we write for our clients from various industries. My clients have included financial organisations,  a healthcare provider, a legal firm, a philharmonic orchestra and even an airline. In writing for such clients, I learned not only about their businesses but also how to accommodate their preferences into my style. 

And of course, we learn when we attend writing courses and workshops. My dream is a writing retreat in Italy.



We don't have to go so far, if time, distance and money don't allow us to. Bali's Ubud Writers and Readers Festival has grown from strength to strength since the first one in 2004. The 2011 festival in October brought writers and book-lovers from various parts of the world to this idyllic island. With this one already over, Perth is a possibility with its Writing Out of Asia event in early December this year. 

But if you're looking for something more focused, check out Silverfish's Writing Programme, which is held at its bookshop in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. I attended the programme a few years back to develop my creative writing skills (my writing has all been non-fiction) and although I haven't embarked on my great Malaysian novel as yet, it has helped me try out a bit of short-story writing


Enjoy the learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment